Lean proteins such as tofu are masters at controlling the glycemic response to food, meaning they help regulate blood sugar. Tofu is also a great vegan source of magnesium which aids in reducing blood pressure and helping quality sleep, among many other things; magnesium is involved in more than a thousand enzymatic reactions in our bodies yet it is a commonly deficient nutrient in modern people.
Vegan Tofu Stir Fry – Recipe
- Olive oil, for cooking
- 2 lemongrass stalks, bashed with a rolling pin
- 2 star anise
- 100g tenderstem broccoli
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 80g marinated or plain firm tofu, cubed
- 2 spring onions, sliced on the diagonal into long shreds
- Juice of a ¼ lime
- 2 tsp honey
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp whole almonds
- Heat a little oil in a wok or large saucepan. Add the bashed lemongrass stalks and star anise and stir-fry for 2–3 minutes until the scent of the lemongrass is released. Add the garlic and broccoli and stir-fry for around 5 minutes, until the broccoli is a brighter green and is starting to soften.
- Add the spring onions (scallions) and tofu (bean curd) and continue to stir-fry for another 3 minutes. Add the honey, soy sauce, and lime juice and simmer until the sauce caramelizes a little. Add the almonds and serve.
From Dale Pinnock’s book How to Cook Healthily.