Potato Rosti are an essential component of your Burns Night feast. These Sweet Potato Rosti from Heather Richards change up the traditional recipe for sweet potato, meaning they have a lower glycemic load to keep blood sugar balanced, and are packed with beta-carotene, a fat-soluble antioxidant that accumulates in the fatty layer of the skin protecting against ageing and wrinkles.
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 whisked eggs
- 2 tablespoons buckwheat (GF) or other flour
- Sea salt
- Olive oil for cooking
- Scrub and grate the sweet potato
- Peel and chop the onions and garlic
- Put potato, onion, garlic and whisked egg in a bowl and mix well
- Add flour gradually, mixing well as you go
- Add enough flour so that the mixture becomes stiff enough to make rounds.
- Make rounds from the mixture and fry in olive oil until golden – approx 4-5 minutes on each side
- Serve with your traditional Scottish feast for Burns Night or with poached egg, hummus or pesto for the rest of the year!