Sweet Potato & Red Lentil Soup
A beta-carotene bomb! This nourishing soup is packed with antioxidants and polyphenols that work together to reduce free radical damage and manage inflammation. Packed full of prebiotics and lots of fibre, it is also great for your gut. A diet rich in fibre and bright coloured vegetables such as sweet potatoes is known to nurture the gut microbiome and there is a growing body of research which demonstrates its influence on, amongst other things, blood sugar, inflammation, the manufacture of micronutrients, hormones and neurotransmitters that can support mental health
- 1 small red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet potato (chopped into small chunks)
- ½ cup red lentils
- Small handful sunflower seeds
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 300ml vegetable stock
- Zest and juice of 1 lime
- Chop the red onion and garlic.
- Lightly heat the oil and then add the red onion and garlic.
- Once the onion starts to become translucent add the sweet potatoes, red lentils and sunflower seeds.
- Add the turmeric, black pepper and salt.
- Mix together and then add the stock.
- Cover and cook on medium heat for around 10 minutes. After 10 minutes check that the sweet potato and red lentils have cooked. If not, cook for longer.
- Once cooked, blend to your desired consistency using a stick blender.
- Before serving, add the lime juice and lime zest.