Warming Sweet Potato & Lentil Soup
This warming sweet potato & lentil soup is great for balancing blood sugar as the fibre in the sweet potato and lentils slow down the digestion reducing a spike in blood sugar levels. Sweet potatoes are also rich in carotenoids which are beneficial for the cardiovascular system which is at high risk with diabetes.
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 onion grated
- 1 eating apple, peeled, cored and grated
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 10g coriander stalks chopped
- Small thumb-size piece fresh root ginger
- 400g sweet potatoes
- Half litre vegetable stock
- 50g red lentils
- 150ml milk/soya milk (if dairy free)
- juice of half a lime
- Put the curry powder into a large saucepan, then toast over a medium heat for 2 mins.
- Add the coconut oil and stir.
- Add the onions, apple, garlic, coriander stalks and ginger, season, then cook over a low heat for 5 mins. Stir occasionally.
- Grate the sweet potatoes. Add to the pan with the stock, lentils,
milk and seasoning, then simmer, covered, for 20 mins.
- Blend until smooth. Stir in the lime juice, check the seasoning and serve, topped with the chopped coriander leaves.