Sweet Potato & Ginger Soup
Spicy, sweet, creamy, zingy, this bright orange soup fuels you with plenty of beta-carotene, antioxidants, anti-fungal and anti-viral compounds from ingredients such as sweet potato, carrots, ginger, garlic, chilli and turmeric. To give it that extra immune boost, probiotic yoghurt is added to support the gut and pumpkin seeds for crunch and zinc.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 diced red onions
- 4 inch piece of fresh ginger
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 chilli
- 1 tbsp fresh turmeric/powder also fine
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 8 carrots
- vegetable stock
- bunch of fresh coriander
- 4 tbsp natural probiotic yoghurt
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- salt and black pepper
- Put a large saucepan on medium heat with 2 tbsp of olive oil.
- Remove skin and dice red onions. Add these to the pan with some salt and pepper.
- Discard skin from ginger with the back of a spoon, chop head and tail off chilli and smash garlic to remove its skin. Chop these finely.
- Remove skin from turmeric root and grate. Add more cracked black pepper.
- After a few minutes, add these ingredients in with the onions and stir.
- Chop carrots into 3cm wide wheels and sweet potato into 1 inch chunks, leaving the skin on both but discarding the ends.
- Add these to the pan and stir for 1 minute.
- Add vegetable stock slowly until the water just covers ingredients. Bring to boil and then reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes until carrots and sweet potato are soft (use a knife to check).
- Roughly chop the coriander and add half of this to the mix.
- Pour contents into a blender and whizz it until it is smooth.
- Pour into bowls. Add 1 tbsp of yoghurt to each bowl.
- Sprinkle over a few pumpkin seeds and garnish with remaining coriander.