Summer Porridge with a Medley of Fresh Berries
A great way to start the day. This summer porridge has a low glycemic index, which helps to maintain glucose levels. Oats also contain lots of fibre which is beneficial as it slows down the digestion of the meal reducing any spikes of sugar in the bloodstream, therefore, aiding in any insulin resistance or diabetes issues. Eating a mix of berries instead of just one type gives lots more nutrients and antioxidants. They are also sweet, so no need to add any sugar.
- 40g oats (Gluten free for coeliac or gluten intolerance)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 60g berries of your choice (fresh or frozen e.g. strawberries,
blackberries, raspberries, blueberries)
- 1 teaspoon Chia seeds
- Boil half a pint of water in a pan and when it has boiled add the oats.
- Stir continuously.
- Reduce heat and add the cinnamon.
- Cook until porridge has thickened (approx 10 mins).
- Spoon into a bowl and sprinkle on the chia seeds and fruit.