Quinoa, Spinach & Mushroom Salad with Baked Chicken
This quinoa, spinach & mushroom salad is a great boost for the immune system as it contains beta glucans from the mushrooms which increase the production of white blood cells. Adding garlic increases this immunity boost as it contains powerful essential oils that can kill off bugs and viruses that can cause colds and flu.
- 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup Shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp grass fed butter
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 tsp Herbs De Provence
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper
For the Chicken
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Take a baking sheet and cover with a layer of parchment paper.
- Place both chicken breasts on the baking sheet and drizzle 2 teaspoons of olive oil between the two. From there, sprinkle 2 teaspoons of Herbs de Provence, 1 teaspoon of garlic powder and a pinch of salt and pepper split between them.
- Place the chicken into the oven for about 20 minutes, or until thoroughly cooked. Remove from pan and slice the chicken into strips.
For the Quinoa
- Rinse 1 cup of quinoa and add to a medium-sized pot. Add to the quinoa 2 cups of water and 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Set the pot over medium heat and allow to come to a boil. Once boiling, turn the heat down to allow the water to come to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and allow the quinoa to cook for about 15 minutes until there is no more liquid. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Chop the onion and add to the pan and allow to cook until the onion becomes translucent.
- While the onion cooks, mince the garlic and add to the onions. Allow to sauté for a bit until you can start to smell both the onions and garlic together.
- Add 1 cup of shiitake mushrooms to the onion, garlic mixture. Cook the mushrooms until they start to soften and just become tender.
- Once the mushrooms are slightly tender, add 2 cups of spinach and let wilt. When the spinach has wilted, combine the cooked quinoa with the spinach and mushrooms.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate the quinoa salad and top with one of the sliced chicken breasts and you have a protein-packed pick me up to last you until dinner!