Shakshuka – Eggs Baked in Tomato Sauce
Shakshuka is traditionally a middle eastern dish of eggs baked in a spicy tomato sauce. I like to add red peppers as well as tomatoes and roast them for extra flavour. The red colour of tomatoes is due to the antioxidant lycopene which is more bioavailable to the body when the tomatoes are cooked. Lycopene protects blood vessel walls from damage caused by oxidation of dietary fats so this dish supports heart health.
- 1 red pepper
- 200g tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 red onion
- sea salt
- olive oil
- 1 tsp zatar ( a blend of middle eastern spices)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp parsley
- Chop red pepper and halve cherry tomatoes. Place on baking sheet, season with sea salt and drizzle with olive oil. Place in oven at 180C for 15 mins until softened.
- Meanwhile chop onion and garlic.
- Heat olive oil in frying pan and add onion, garlic and salt. Cook until softened.
- Add cooked tomato and pepper and zatar.
- Simmer for a few minutes until all combined and broken down into a sauce.
- Make 2 holes in the sauce and into them crack the eggs. Place a lid on the pan and leave simmer until eggs have cooked.
- Sprinkle with parsley and enjoy with a wedge of wholegrain bread!