Poached Egg Breakfast Stack with Vine Tomatoes
This poached egg breakfast stack is a great way to start the day and has a low glycaemic impact as it contains lean protein (salmon & egg) and healthy fats (olive oil) and will benefit anyone with insulin resistance or diabetes as it slows down the digestion and release of useable sugars.
- 1 x free-range egg
- 1 x large Portobello mushroom
- 3-4 slices smoked salmon
- tomatoes on the vine
- fresh dill fronds
- 1 spring onion finely sliced
- extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt and pepper
- 60g baby spinach
- 60ml pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 90ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove, sliced
- juice from half a lemon
- pinch sea salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°Celsius (fan)
- Line baking tray with parchment paper, place mushroom and vine of tomatoes on the tray. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake in an oven for 15 minutes.
- While the mushroom and tomatoes are baking get started on the spinach pesto. Place pesto ingredients in food processor and blend till smooth.
- Add more olive oil to loosen pesto if needed.
- Break egg into a ramekin. Bring a shallow pan of water to a simmer, swirl the water to create a whirlpool and slowly pour an egg into the middle. Cook egg for 3 minutes for a soft yolk. Remove with slotted spoon and place on some kitchen roll to drain.
- To assemble the dish spread some pesto on a plate. Drain mushroom cup of any liquid inside and place on pesto. Spoon roughly 2 tablespoons pesto in the mushroom. Top with smoked salmon and poached egg, place tomatoes alongside and garnish with more pesto, spring onion, and dill fronds.
- Season with salt and pepper.