Pineapple & Turmeric Smoothie Booster
Quick and easy to prepare, this amazingly coloured pineapple & turmeric smoothie provides a mildly spiced, warming start to the day! If you can get fresh root turmeric, peel and finely chop a generous teaspoonful instead of the powder, but be careful, it stains everything in sight! It’s worth it though due to the many health benefits. If your pineapple is really ripe, consider using the core, as this contains more of the beneficial enzyme, bromelain. Bromelain can be beneficial in reducing the swelling in joints caused by arthritis.
- 1-inch piece fresh root ginger
- 200g fresh ripe pineapple (prepared weight)
- 75g cucumber
- 1 tbsp flaxseed
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 lime
- freshly ground black pepper
- ice cubes
- 200ml coconut water
- Peel the root ginger and grate or finely chop. If necessary, cut the skin off the pineapple, remove any little eyes and cut into chunks. You need 200g prepared weight.
- Chop the cucumber into similar sized pieces.
- Place the prepared pineapple and cucumber in a blender with the ginger, flaxseed, turmeric, 1tbsp lime juice and a few grindings of black pepper.
- Add 4 or 5 ice cubes and the coconut water. Blend until smooth.
- You may need to blend longer than other smoothies to help break down the fibres in the pineapple and ginger.
- Pour into a glass to serve.