Healthy mince pies
These healthy mince pies are delicious and an alternative to the very sugary versions you find in the shops. The base is ground almonds providing protein, slowing down the absorption of sugars into the bloodstream and avoiding a sugar spike! Keeping blood sugar levels stable is important for health but you can enjoy these mince pies and stay healthy.
- 210g almonds
- 1 egg + some for glazing top of pies
- 30g honey
- 30g melted butter
- 180g apples cubed
- 80g dried cranberries
- 80g raisins
- Zest and juice of 1 large orange
- 200ml hot water
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Put all filling ingredients in a saucepan and simmer until ingredients all broken down. Add additional water if necessary.
- Meanwhile mix all pastry ingredients together, make into dough, roll out and cut into rounds for base and stars for top.
- Make sure you roll the dough thin enough – if it is too thick it won’t cook through enough and you will have a soggy base!
- Place bases in greased muffin tins, add filling and finish with star top
- Glaze stars with beaten egg
- Bake in oven at 170°C for 10 minutes until golden