Green Spinach Shakshuka
A nutrient-dense breakfast that is a great way to get the brain started for a busy day. A lot of the prep can be done the day before. Eggs are a complete protein and such a versatile ingredient to cook with, it is easy to incorporate them into your diet. The Vitamin B5 in eggs produces choline which is important for cognitive function (memory and learning in particular). Eggs have a low glyceamic load so are a good choice for keeping blood sugar levels stable.
- 200g finely chopped shiitake mushrooms
- 2 trimmed leeks, finely chopped
- 3 finely chopped shallots
- 2 handfuls of chopped hardy greens Kale/savoy cabbage
- 1 handful spinach
- 1 yellow pepper cut into strips
- 1 handful fresh chopped dill
- 1 clove grated garlic
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 4 eggs
- Olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Sauté the shallots, garlic and leek in a bit of oil until softened.
- Add the cumin and paprika.
- Add the mushrooms and stir until soft.
- Stir in the greens until well mixed with the other ingredients.
- Stir in the strips of yellow pepper.
- Season with salt and pepper and stir
- Pour the mixture into an ovenproof dish and bake for 10 minutes at 180ºc.
- Crack two eggs onto the top of the greens mixture and return to the oven until just set (a few minutes).