Good for You Tortilla
In this tortilla, the traditional potatoes are replaced by carotenoid-rich vegetables to provide a high protein, low-carb, immune-boosting breakfast. The beta-carotene in the sweet potato, butternut squash and peppers is a powerful antioxidant, useful for raising blood levels of Vitamin A, which plays an important part in the health of the mucous membrane of the gastrointestinal tract and therefore supporting immunity.
- 5 Eggs
- 1 red onion
- 1 sweet potato
- ½ celeriac
- 1 red pepper
- ¼ butternut squash
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt to season
- Chop all the vegetables into dice about 1 cm square.
- Sweat the onions in a little olive oil until soft but not browned. Remove and put into a bowl.
- Add the sweet potato to the pan with a little more olive oil and cook for 5 – 10 minutes. Then add the celeriac and butternut squash. Continue to cook for another 10 minutes and then add the pepper. Cook for a further 5 – 10 minutes until the vegetables are al dente. Remove and add to the onions. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Whisk the eggs in a jug and then pour over the vegetables. There should be just enough egg to cover the vegetables, but if your eggs are particularly large, you may need to reserve a little (make scrambled eggs for a snack!).
- Season to taste and then heat a little more oil in a small non-stick frying pan. When it is hot, pour in the mix and watch for the egg to start setting around the sides of the pan. When this happens, turn the heat right down as low as possible and allow the tortilla to cook for up to 10 minutes taking care it doesn’t burn on the underside (the only way to do this is to make sure the flame is very low!). Then take a plate that covers the width of the pan and invert the tortilla out of the pan onto the plate, making sure you hold the plate tight to the top of the pan during the process. Then ease the upturned tortilla back into the pan to cook the other side, This will take about 10 minutes on a very low heat.
- Turn out onto a plate and enjoy with a simple tomato salad or salsa.