Forbidden Rice Chicken with Peppers & Carrot
This comforting forbidden rice chicken dish is packed full of filling and hearty winter ingredients: roast
chicken, root vegetables and a super grain fit for royalty, or just your hungry family. Combining these good-quality ingredients like complex carbs (black rice), healthy fat (olive oil), and protein (chicken) in a single meal, you can lower the glycaemic response, feeling fuller for longer, absorb fat-soluble nutrients while ensuring better blood sugar balance which is vital in diabetes management.
- 250g black rice
- 200ml fresh chicken stock
- 200ml water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6-8 chicken drumsticks
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 celery stick, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 mixed peppers (red, yellow and orange), deseeded and sliced into thick strips
- 2 purple carrot, peeled and sliced (regular carrots will also work)
- 1 large beetroot, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 lemon, cut into 3 wedges
- 1/2 lemon rind, grated
- 2 bay leaves
- Fresh parsley, a handful, finely chopped
- Fresh thyme leaves, a small handful, finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 392°F (fan) or 180°C / 356°F (conventional).
- In a sieve, rinse the rice under cold water to clean the grains and reduce starch levels.
- Pour the rice, water, and stock in a medium pan over a medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and turn off the heat. While your rice is cooking prep all the other ingredients.
- Place a large saucepan or ovenproof pot over a medium heat.
- Pour in 1 tbsp of olive oil.
- Add chicken legs to hot oil in a single layer without crowding. (might need to do them in a couple of batches depending on how big your pan is)
- Cook for around 8 minutes, turning once or until the chicken skin has browned. Remove with tongs and set aside.
- Turn down to a low-medium heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, celery, then cook for 5 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Pour the rice and water into the pot, and bring back to a boil.
- Add bay, lemon rind, herbs, carrots, and beetroot. Mix well together.
- Now add the chicken, placing it on top of the rice and veg.
- At this stage don’t stir the stock, you want the rice in the water, not on the chicken, otherwise, you’ll have uncooked rice.
- Add the peppers and lemon wedges.
- Bring to boil, and turn off the heat.
- Pop the lid on the pan and place in oven for 50 minutes.
- After 40 minutes remove the lid from the pan.
- Cook uncovered for a further 10 minutes in the oven. This gives the chicken and veg a lovely colour.
- Remove from the oven, check the chicken and rice are completely cooked.
- Chicken is perfectly cooked when the juice runs clear, the meat is falling off the drumstick and the internal temperature (when using a probe) is 165°F – 75°C. When eaten, the rice should have a lovely soft texture.
- Serve directly from the pan with a sprinkle of fresh herbs.