Creamy Mushroom Soup with Cheese
This creamy mushroom soup with cheese is a comforting dish for those winter months and great for boosting your immunity too. Mushroom’s are rich in beta-glucan which supports immunity, particularly the shiitake variety. Red onions contain quercetin which is a flavonoid found in deeply coloured foods that helps the body fight free radicals which cause cell damage.
- 25g Butter
- ½ Red Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Garlic Clove, finely chopped
- 40g Plain Flour
- 700ml Vegetable Stock
- 250g Shiitake and Oyster Mushrooms sliced
- 75ml Single Cream
- 340g Cheddar Cheese grated
- 2 tbsp Freshly chopped parsley to garnish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt half the butter and cook the onion and garlic gently for 5 minutes in a covered saucepan, without colouring. Once soft and translucent, stir in the flour and cook gently for 1 minute.
- Gradually add the stock stirring all the time. Add half of the mushrooms, cover, bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 10-15 minutes until the mushrooms are tender. Cool a little then puree in a liquidiser.
- Melt the remaining butter in a pan and sauté the rest of the mushrooms for 5 minutes until they begin to brown then add to the pureed soup with the grated cheese.
- Simmer gently for 5 mins or until the cheese has melted, then stir in the cream and taste for seasoning.
- Serve garnished with the chopped parsley.