As part of her Immunity module, while studying for her Diploma in Applied Nutrition, Denise Monk developed this Immunity Boosting Soup for her day’s meal plan. Mushrooms are rich in beta-glucan which supports immunity, particularly the shiitake variety, which Denise uses here.
Immunity Boosting Soup – Recipe
1 Red onion, finely chopped
1 Garlic clove, finely chopped
20g Plain flour
500-700ml Vegetable stock
450g Shiitake and oyster mushrooms sliced
75ml Single cream
75g Cheddar cheese, grated
2 tbsp. Freshly chopped parsley to garnish
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Melt half the butter and cook the onion and garlic gently for 5 minutes in a covered saucepan, without colouring.
- Once soft and translucent, stir in the flour and cook gently for 1 minute.
- Gradually add the stock, stirring continuously (you might not need all the stock).
- Add most of the mushrooms (keeping some for the top), cover, bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 10-15 minutes until the mushrooms are tender.
- Cool a little then puree in a liquidiser.
- Melt the remaining butter in a pan and sauté the rest of the mushrooms for 5 minutes until they begin to brown.
- Add the cheese to the soup and simmer gently for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted, then stir in the cream and taste for seasoning.
- Serve garnished with the chopped parsley and sautéed mushrooms.