Our lovely, simple, healthy Christmas puddings are a great alternative to the traditional kind, without sacrificing any of the delicious, comforting flavour!
Here are the evidence-based facts behind what makes our healthy Christmas Puddings that extra bit nutritious:
- Almonds are high in protein, tryptophan and vitamin E for healing the skin. They also are a concentrated source of monounsaturated fats which are good for a healthy heart.
- Coconut oil contains the heart-protective fatty acid, lauric acid.
- Oranges contain more than 60 flavonoids that provide powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant protection. They are also packed with vitamin C which is great for your immune system.
- Eggs are a complete protein providing all of the essential amino acids. They are also a source of iodine, important for good thyroid function, and the yolks contain lots of vitamin B key for brain health.
- Cinnamon aids in the regulation of blood sugar and contains phytonutrients which block inflammation and bacterial growth.
- Goji berries contain all the essential amino acids, are very high in fibre an are jam-packed with Vitamin C. They are also very anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.
Makes 10 puddings:
- 3 cups of ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon of Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of organic honey
- Juice and zest of 1 orange or lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 80g of goji berries
- 50g of chopped dark chocolate
- 30g melted dark chocolate for decoration (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl
- Scoop batter onto a tray lined with greaseproof paper with a small ice-cream scoop
- Bake for 20-30 minutes
- Once cooled melt 30g of dark chocolate and pipe over the buns (optional)