A type of Japanese egg pancake, this savoury okonomiyaki pancake recipe from Dale’s book, Healthy Every Day, is perfect for a fast supper and a tasty alternative to sweet pancakes on Shrove Tuesday.
A super-quick, nourishing and tasty treat, this recipe uses high fibre ingredients that provide both pre and probiotics, as leeks and kale do, and therefore assists digestive health from several angles, both long and short term. Prebiotic’s contain specific types of polysaccharide that, when the bacteria ferment them, causes the bacterial colony to reproduce and grow and also to synthesise compounds such as butyric acid that can help repair the walls of the digestive tract. When gut flora suffers, other opportunistic organisms can begin to flourish in the gut. These can cause all manner of problems from quite ferocious fermentation reactions (meaning gas) through to immunological issues.
- 100g wholemeal flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- large handful kale, shredded
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 large leek, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon runny honey
- 2cm fresh root ginger, finely chopped
- 1/2 red chilli, finely chopped
- coconut oil, for frying
- sea salt and black pepper
- salad leaves, to serve
- Mix the flour, eggs, kale, carrot, leek and flaxseeds together in a large mixing bowl. You should have a bowl of batter-coated vegetables. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make a dipping sauce by mixing the sesame oil, soy sauce, vinegar, honey, ginger and chilli in a small bowl, then set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan and melt a small amount of coconut oil in it, ensuring the oil coats the base of the pan.
- Place several large spoonfuls of the vegetable mixture into the pan, and press down to form a pancake. Cook for 2–3 minutes before carefully turning them over. Repeat until the pancake is crisp and golden. Slice into wedges and serve with salad leaves and the dipping sauce.
Fancy sweeter pancakes this Shrove Tuesday?