Healthy baking needn’t be complicated or time-consuming. Never fear, favourite recipes can be adapted to be healthier so you never need to miss out on that coveted feeling of indulgence!
Sano recipe developer, Holly Richards, has created this healthy, dairy, refined sugar and gluten free hot cross bun recipe so you can enjoy the traditional treat this Easter whilst filling up on extra nutrition at the same time. Replace the honey with maple syrup to make them vegan. Serve with a slather of grass-fed butter or spread with coconut oil.
The Health Benefits:
- Almonds are high in protein, tryptophan and vitamin E for healing the skin. They also are a concentrated source of monounsaturated fats which are good for a healthy heart.
- Coconut oil contains the heart-protecting fatty acid, lauric acid.
- Oranges contain more than 60 flavonoids that provide powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant protection. They are also packed with Vitamin C which is great for your immune system
- Eggs are a complete protein providing all of the essential amino acids. They are also a source of iodine, important for good thyroid function, and the yolks contain lots of vitamin B key for brain health.
- Cinnamon aids in the regulation of blood sugar and contains phytonutrients which block inflammation and bacterial growth.
- Goji berries contain all the essential amino acids, are very high in fibre an are jam-packed with Vitamin C. They are also very anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal.
- 3 cups of ground almonds
- 1 teaspoon of Himalayan salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of organic honey
- Juice and zest of 1 orange or lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 4 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 80g of goji berries
- 50g of chopped dark chocolate
- 30g melted dark chocolate for decoration (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl
- Scoop batter onto a tray lined with greaseproof paper with a small ice-cream scoop
- Bake for 20-30 minutes
- Once cooled melt 30g of dark chocolate and pipe a cross over the buns (optional)
Get more healthy recipes at Heather Richards Nutrition
Want more nutrition knowledge? Discover Sano Life