This “Feel Good Fish Pie” is a great, healthy alternative to the traditional rib-sticking versions. It’s a lighter version with an extra nutritional boost. Using a ready prepared fish pie mix, which is available in most supermarkets, makes it an easy way to get in a hearty meal and those all-important fish-derived omega 3 fatty acids when you’re short on time.
The star ingredient in this recipe is the sweet potatoes which are packed with beta-carotene, which gives them their bright orange colour. Beta-carotene is a fat-soluble antioxidant which is good for the skin, protecting collagen from damage and reducing inflammation and redness.
- 5 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- olive oil, for cooking
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 400g low-fat cream cheese
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon wholegrain mustard
- 600g fish pie mix
- 10g fresh dill, roughly chopped
- sea salt and black pepper
- Put the sweet potatoes into a saucepan and cover with salted boiling water. Simmer for 20 minutes or until very soft.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas mark 6. Heat a little olive oil in a pan, add the onion and garlic and cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese, vegetable stock, and mustard and cook gently over a medium heat, stirring until the cheese has melted.
- Add the fish pie mix and simmer for 10 minutes, until the fish is nearly cooked through. Finally, add the dill, season with salt and pepper and stir well.
- Transfer the fish mixture to a baking dish. Drain and mash the sweet potato until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Top the fish with the sweet potato mash and bake for about 15 minutes until the sauce is bubbling and the top of the mash is starting to get crispy.
- Serve immediately with a green salad or some steamed kale, broccoli or asparagus.
Want more nutrition tips? Discover 5 Ways to Improve Your Gut Health
Get more evidence-based nutrition tips here: Sano Life