Spoil your mum this Mothers Day with this delicious breakfast Shakshuka Recipe.
Shakshuka is traditionally a Middle Eastern dish of eggs baked in a spicy tomato sauce. Heather Richards, adds red peppers as well as tomatoes to her recipe and roasts them for extra flavour.
The red colour of tomatoes is due to their content of the antioxidant lycopene which is more bioavailable to the body when the tomatoes are cooked. Lycopene protects blood vessel walls from damage caused by oxidation of dietary fats, meaning this dish is a great support to cardiovascular health.
Eggs are pretty much the best protein source on the planet for the simple reason that the protein is 100% usable. Eggs are also rich in betaine, a nutrient known to reduce homocysteine, which is a potent compound linked to increased risk of heart disease.
So not only will you be treating mum to a scrumptious breakfast in bed, you’ll be helping to keep her body healthy too!
- 1 red pepper
- 200g tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 red onion
- sea salt
- olive oil
- 1 tsp za’atar ( a blend of middle eastern spices)
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp parsley
- Chop red pepper and halve cherry tomatoes. Place on a baking sheet, season with sea salt and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place in oven at 180°C for 15 mins until softened
- Meanwhile, chop onion and garlic
- Heat olive oil in frying pan and add onion, garlic, and salt. Cook until softened.
- Add cooked tomato, pepper and za’atar.
- Simmer for a few minutes until all combined and broken down into a sauce.
- Make 2 holes in the sauce and into them crack the eggs. Place a lid on the pan and leave to simmer until eggs have cooked.
- Sprinkle with parsley and enjoy with a wedge of wholegrain bread.